Child safety is a paramount concern of all parents, especially those with small children. We offer the following tips to assist parents in keeping their children safe and discussing these important issues with their children.
- Children should always check with parents before leaving their yard or play area. Children should also make sure their parents always know where they are.
- Children should never tell anyone that they are home alone when answering the phone.
- Children should know that if someone tries to touch them or treats them in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable or confused, they should tell a parent or trusted adult.
- Children should know their name, address and telephone number and how to call 9-1-1.
- Parents should insure that they have high quality photographs of their children taken at least annually.
- Parents should vigilantly supervise their children and know where they are at all times.
- Parents should carefully screen caregivers and babysitters.
- Parents should discuss child safety with their children on a regular basis.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) offers a wealth of information for parents regarding child safety. You can visit the NCMEC Web site Child Safety page at http://www.missingkids.com/.